masterminis.net - where we learn to be a better painter!

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Contrast - Black and White to see the light!

I read a lot of books and articles on miniature painting. I know a lot of things - in theory. 
For example, I now about how to exaggerate light and shadows on a miniature in order to create enough contrast on a miniature. But yesterday I learned something new. I learned about overall contrast of a miniature


Ich habe ne Menge Bücher und Artikel zur Miniaturenbemalung gelesen. Ich weiß ne Menge Zeug - in der Theorie.
Zum Beispiel weiß ich, dass man Licht und Schatten bei einer Mini übertreiben muss um genügend Kontrast in die Miniatur zu bekommen. Aber gestern habe ich was neues gelernt. Ich habe vom Kontrast der Gesamtminiatur gehört. 

My current WIP Melvin - another miniature I paint to "get back into painting" - had some highs and lows. Liked the face, liked the hat, wasn´t happy with the shirt... same old. But it looked kinda weird overall. I could not put my finger on the problem. I was sure that missing contrast was NOT it as I really had put the smack down on this one.

I was wrong. It was contrast after all. Overall contrast of the miniature.




Mein aktuelle WIP mini Melvin - eine weitere Miniatur, die ich male, "um ins Malen zurückzukommen" - hat Höhen und Tiefen. Ich mochte das Gesicht, den Hut, das Hemd war so Naja... halt wie immer. Aber irgendwas stimmte nicht - ich wusste nur nicht genau was. Ich war mir aber sicher, dass fehlender Kontrast NICHT das Problem war, weil ich mich mit Kontrast richtig ausgetobt hatte...
Ich lag falsch, es war doch fehlender Kontrast - Kontrast der gesamten Figur.


Massive Voodoo´s own Raffaele Picca showed me the light. He created a black and white version of my WIP picture of melvin and all the things that Ansel Adams taught me when I was much younger came back to me. Overall Contrast. My miniature was an even display of medium greytones. And we are not talking about light and shadows for example in the face, There was no area - such as the shirt or the hat that created an overall contrast to other areas. 


Raffaele Picca von Massive Voodoo hat mir dann den Weg ins Licht gewiesen. Er machte aus meinem WIP Bild von Melvin eine schwarz-weiß-Version. All die Dinge, die mir Ansel Adams mal beigebracht hat als ich viel jünger war kamen zurück. Gesamtkontrast! Meine Miniatur war eine einzige mittlere Grau-Suppe. Und hier war nicht fehlender Kontrast z.B. im Gesicht das Problem. Es gab keine großen Flächen, die einen Helligkeitskontrast zu anderen Flächen aufgebaut hätten. 


This is what Raffa saw:
Hier mal das, was Raffa sah:


As you can see - grey everywhere (some might even call it gray!) A well balanced miniature should have an overall contrast of dark and light areas. 
As I was really happy with the blue hat (and wanted to draw attention to it), I decided to make the shirt much darker. The originally light brown stripes turned dark grey-blackish and the bright blue stripes were toned down a lot to create a much darker version of the shirt.



Wie man sieht - alles grau. Eine ausgewogen bemalte Miniatur sollte einen guten Kontrast zwischen hellen und dunkeln Flächen haben.
Der hellblaue Hut sollte so bleiben (ich wollte Aufmerksamkeit auf ihn ziehen), daher entschied ich mich, das Hemd viel dunkler zu machen. Die hellbraunen Streifen wurden fast schwarz, die hellblauen Streifen wurden dunkelblau. 



Its not easy to see at first glance - but see how the shirt is much darker now?  (the dark stripes were the light ones earlier) I probably should go even darker, but I wanna keep it at this level. Also note, how the goggle now is almost black in this picture (before they were as grey as the hat - even though they were color contrasting blue-red!). The light face is surrounded by dark areas. And this creates more focus than the old version. 


Auf den ersten Blick nicht leicht zu erkennen, aber seht ihr, wie viel dunkler das Hemd ist? (die dunklen .Streifen waren die hellen auf dem alten Bild). Ich sollte wahrscheinlich sogar noch dunkler werden, aber ich möchte es auf diesem Level halten. Auch die Brille ist jetzt fast schwarz (vorher war sie mit dem Hut fast gleich, obwohl hier ein blau-rot-Kontrast vorlag!) Das helle Gesicht wird jetzt umrahmt von dunklen Flächen - und wird so herausgearbeitet.


Well, Raffa, what can I say but "Thank you!" You definitely allowed me to see miniatures in a "new light" (no pun intended, well actually... it was). And I hope that some of the readers find this helpful as well. 


Nun, Raffa, was kann ich sagen außer "Danke!" Du hast mir geholfen, Miniaturen in einem "neuen Licht" zu sehen (5 Euro in die Wortspielkasse). Und ich hoffe, dass einige der Leser diesen Artikel ebenso hilfreich fanden.


"Share and Enjoy!"
The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation

5 comments:

  1. Excellent Article :)
    Yes, having a balance of dark and light areas always helps to make it more interesting!

    Best wishes,
    Raffa

    ReplyDelete
  2. HUZZAR!! That is a painting revelation! Such a simple thing but also totally fascinating. Thank you! I'm off to give my WIP pictures the B&W treatment and see how they look :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting little read Michael, and this is an awesome sculpt by Romain. I will get one day in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for tips! I think this is really easy to do now we got "smart phones". Just take a photo and use grey scale and Voila... u should be able to tell if you need more contrast am i right?

    Also, handy for checking zenithal high lighting as well i would imagine.

    thanks for the read.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Assignment Services will help you in making the decisions as per your requirement.They will provide you with many benefits. The essays and assignments will have relevant information. No need to worry anymore. If your workload is piling up and has to submit your assignment in less time, then you can get Math Homework Help from My Assignment Services. This will help you in setting up your priorities.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...